July 7, 2014

General Glenn K. Otis


 General Glenn K. Otis
1929-2013
Battle Dress Uniform & Field Jacket

General Otis enlisted in the United States Army in 1946, serving in Korea with the 63rd Infantry Regiment, 6th Infantry Division.  He then entered the United States Military Academy, graduating in 1953.  Otis went to Germany in 1955 as a platoon leader with Company B, 371st Armored Infantry Battalion.  After several years in Germany, he returned to the United States as an instructor at West Point.  Otis became Executive Officer of the 1st Squadron, 9th Cavalry in Korea in 1963.  In 1967, he took command of the 3rd Squadron, 4th Cavalry, 25th Infantry Division in Vietnam.  It was in this role that Otis earned the Distinguished Service Cross for actions on January 31, 1968, while defending the Tan Son Nhut Air Base during the Tet Offensive.  He became Commander of the 1st Brigade, 3rd Armored Division in Germany in 1971 and later Chief of Staff of the 3rd Armored Division.  After various assignments in the United States, Otis was made Commanding General of the 1st Armored Division in Germany in 1978.  In 1983, he became Commander in Chief, United States Army Europe.  After more than 35 years of military service, Otis retired in 1988.


General Otis and Secretary of Defense Caspar Weinberger at Hohenfels Near Nurenberg in West Germany

April 9, 2014

Brigadier General Hollingsworth F. Gregory


Brigadier General Hollingsworth F. Gregory
1906-1978
Formal Evening Dress Uniform

After working as a high school principal in Kossuth, Mississippi, General Gregory enlisted as a flying cadet in 1928.  He was commissioned a Second Lieutenant in the Air Corps in 1929.  In 1936, while serving as the Engineering Officer of Flight E of the 16th Observation Squadron at Fort Sill, Gregory was selected to serve as a test pilot for the Army’s newly purchased autogyros.  After the Army purchased additional autogyros, he was chosen to head a school for training pilots in 1937 at Patterson Air Field.  It was while visiting the Sikorsky plant in 1940 that Gregory became the first military helicopter pilot after an eight minute flight.  He organized the first landing of a helicopter on a ship in 1943.  In 1945, Gregory became Chief of Staff for Intelligence, Seventh Air Force in the Pacific.  He went on to serve as Chief of the Reconnaissance and Photographic Branch before becoming Air Attaché in Paris in 1952.  Before his retirement in 1958, Gregory was serving as Commander of the Air Force Office of Scientific Research.  He settled in Tulsa, Oklahoma, after retiring, working in the private sector.   


 Igor Sikorsky, Orville Wright, and Frank Gregory in 1942 at Wright Field.

February 21, 2014

Brigadier General Edward M. Kittilsen


Brigadier General Edward M. Kittilsen
1854-1939
M1902 Full Dress Uniform

General Kittilsen joined the Illinois State Militia in 1875 and in time became Sergeant Major of the Fourteenth Battalion, a rank he maintained after the unit’s consolidation with the 6th Illinois Infantry.  In 1886, Kittilsen was advanced to the rank of Major and then Lieutenant Colonel of the 6th Illinois in 1893.  When the Spanish-American War broke out in 1898, the 6th Illinois was mustered into federal service.  As second in command of the regiment, Kittilsen embarked for Cuba with the 6th Illinois between July 8 and 10.  Spanish troops around Santiago surrendered while the 6th Illinois was en route and the regiment was then sent to Puerto Rico, arriving on July 25.  The 6th Illinois saw little action by the time an armistice was reached on August 12 and returned to Illinois by September 16.  By 1908, Kittilsen had been promoted to Brigadier General, commanding the 6th Illinois.  He long served Illinois in law enforcement in addition to his military career.  Kittilsen was appointed Chief of Police of Moline, Illinois, in 1883 and was elected Sheriff of Rock Island County in 1906, serving until 1910.  He was also a member of Doric Lodge No. 319, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons.


Officers wearing the M1902 Full Dress Uniform.
(H.A. Ogden, Stone Lithograph, 1908)